Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Makapu'u Lighthouse - December 1st, 2010

Jenna and I
So, I'm not really sure if this is referred to as a hike, but since we made it a little more interesting than just the paved trail to the top of the lighthouse, I will consider it a hike! My BFF and hiking partner Jenna invited me to come along on the hike with her and her mom. I started my day at 5:30 A.M. with once again getting Matthew off to work, and then lounging around until about 8:30 which is when I set off for the Makapu'u Lighthouse, traffic this particular day was TERRIBLE! Two traffic jams, which I expected once I hit the downtown Honolulu area! It seems when it rains in Hawaii, people forget how to drive!  After 1 1/2 hours of driving I finally arrived at the trail.
Turtle and Rabbit Island

At 10:30 A.M. we started our little 1 mile hike to the top, stopping to take pictures at all the lookouts along the way, the views were gorgeous!! The wind on the other hand was something to be desired, I would say there had to be 25+ MPH winds! The paved trail to the top was nice to say the least, it made it a really easy hike, almost to easy.

Makapu'u Lighthouse






The views of the lighthouse were also gorgeous, there were a few different areas to get some really awesome pictures of the lighthouse from all directions, also views of Rabbit and Turtle island, the Sea Life Park, and KoKo Head, so once we made it to the top, we decided why not go up the mountain on the side, where the winds showed their ugly face again! To the point where if you didn't take a stance and lower your center of gravity you might just get taken off the mountain! It was worth it though,  we had a great time, and unfortunately we didn't wear any sunscreen and got pretty fried, not to sure what we were thinking!




All in all it's an easy family friendly hike, that has awesome views, and at 2.0 miles from the top to the bottom it's provides a little workout! We burned about 600 calories!

Difficulty: Easy
Distance: 2.0 Miles
Elevation: 550 Ft.

Map and Directions

1 comment: